Friday, September 7, 2012

The Memorabilia Connection

People choose to the remember the F-111 in their own ways.  Some write books, some create websites and blogs, some to decide to reminisce at reunions while countless others collect memorabilia.



A collection of squadron patches and helmets displaying the squadron symbols and other memorabilia from the the Strategic Air Command bomb competition Proud Shield.




What kind of memorabilia and who collects it?  You don't have to be a subject matter expert on the F-111 to have an affinity for the aircraft. Most people who collect F-111 memorabilia have some sort of connection to the aircraft. Some are former flight crew/air crew, while others are former maintainers.  Others are aviation photojournalists, authors, patch collectors, artists, plastic modelers, spouses, and fans of the F-111.

The collectibles range the gamut from embroidered unit patches which were were on flight suits and flight jackets, flight helmets, plastic and die cast models, unit challenge coins, unit histories, flight manuals, flight crew checklists, photographs, slides, negatives, unit scarves, name tags, and so on.


As an F-111 connoisseur, I must admit I have a substantial collection of memorabilia. Due to time constraints and scheduling, I will limit the topic of this discussion to Air Force scarves. 


Scarves were initially worn by pilots during World War One.  Over, the years they've undergone a transformation from ascots and dickies to today's current scarves.  Typically, scarves are not worn in an aircraft because they pose a burn hazard. Consequently, they serve a more ornamental purpose. Scarves as collectibles are more obscure because they're more challenging to obtain, especially the older ones and not that many people collect them.


I've lost track how many F-111 specific scarves I have.  My collection warrants a much needed inventory.  I can firmly say that I have scarves which represent most F-111 units: Nellis Air Force Base Nevada, Mountain Home Air Force Base Idaho, Cannon Air Force Base New Mexico, Royal Air Force Upper Heyford, RAF Lakenheath, Pease Air Force Base New Hampshire, and Plattsburgh Air Force Base New York. As far as I know, the Royal Australian Air Force  never utilized scarves for their F-111 units.


To the best of my memory, I probably started collecting scarves in the late 1980s or early 1990s. My interest in scarves grew out of my affinity for United States Air Force history. This hobby accompanied my other hobby of collecting United States Air Force patches. Naturally, this just seemed like another good thing to collect. The two work hand in hand.

From what I’ve encountered over the years, the hobby is mostly male dominated.  As for scarves, not a lot of guys collect them, unlike patches. However, in recent years I’ve seen more and more of them on Ebay.  To be honest, I don’t like the exorbitant skyrocketing prices of scarves Ebay.

Scarf collecting is an interesting hobby. It’s subjective and can be broken down into various subsets just like patch collecting. For example: Some guys collect only bomber unit scarves or fighters unit scarves while others collect only certain bases, units, and so on.  In my opinion, a scarf, which has the squadron insignia on it, is more valuable than a plain-­jane looking scarf. Although my collection is relatively small as compared to other collectors, I take pride in my collection. Quality -- not quantity is my motto.

So where do people go to find scarves?  Nowadays, I'd say primarily Ebay.  Some companies like Rama World, Corporate Logos, and Jamy Ltd. used to sell to collectors, but I don't know if they still do. I can’t remember exactly how I got connected with Rama World. I remember speaking to Rachel several times over the phone. She was always pleasant to talk to over the phone.   During one conversation she explained the origins of the company and their relationship with the United States Air Force. Back in the day, Rama World,  used to have lists for collectors. The list was broken down by units, bases, and aircraft.

Unlike Jerome Polder of Aeroemblem fame, who has authored books on patch identification, there aren’t any references to scarves. When I was a kid I collected United States postage stamps. Fortunately, in that hobby of philately there were price guides. As I later found out with patches and later scarves, it was so easy!

When I first started out with collecting, I would write the units. I wasn’t trying to intentionally mooch, as I would ask them if they would sell me some items from their SNACKO. Sometimes I got lucky and other times I got the standard dreaded reject letter from the wing public affairs office. If the unit sent me something I would usually write a nice thank you letter back in return.

I don't like the exorbitant prices on Ebay, perhaps caused by supply and demand.  A scarf, or anything else for that matter, is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. A couple things I’d like to see in this hobby: A reference guide for identification. Secondly, I’d like to see more information available for beginner scarf collectors. Something that could help answer the who, what, when, where, why, and how of scarf collecting


No comments:

Post a Comment